The Persecution of Falun Gong Practitioner Ms. Ding Suping from Xiangyang City, Hubei Province

Facebook Logo LinkedIn Logo Twitter Logo Email Logo Pinterest Logo

Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Ding Suping is employed at a company affiliated with the Dongfeng Police Department. The name of the company has been changed to the Longcheng Machinery Co., Ltd. Ms. Ding started Falun Gong practice in late December 1997, and has been harassed and arrested multiple times since the onset of the persecution of Falun Gong in 1999.

Ms. Ding went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong in the summer of 2000. She was arrested at Tiananmen Square and taken back to be held in the Dongfeng Police Department Detention Centre. Policewoman Xie Shumin searched her and seized her hardcover pocket edition of the Falun Gong book, Zhuan Falun, and more than 700 yuan1 in cash. Policewoman Chen Jinzhi wouldn't let her sleep overnight to try to make her write a guarantee statement to renounce practising Falun Gong. Ms. Ding was detained for two weeks at that time.

Ms. Ding's company manager, Nie Quanguo, only issued her 280 yuan monthly for living expenses. Dongfeng Police Department head Li Jinhai ordered Ms. Ding's husband to watch Ms. Ding at home instead of going to work. Li made phone calls to Ms. Ding's husband once every couple of days and ordered him to take Ms. Ding to Li's office and demanded to know if she still practised Falun Gong. The police arrested her in October 2000 and took her to the Qilindian Brainwashing Centre in Xiangyang City.
Two male guards pushed Ms. Ding down and made her kneel on the ground, and then kicked her in the buttocks and lower back, slapped her face, and grabbed her hair and hit her head against a wall. This prompted Ms. Ding to jump from the third floor. She sustained a commuted lumbar fracture, a ruptured liver, a ruptured gall bladder, and a fractured right wrist. Surgeons removed two-thirds of her gall bladder. She has not yet completely recovered, although ten years have passed.

Xiangdong Police Department (former Dongfeng Police Department) section head Liao Yaohui and officer Hu Xiaofang took Ms. Ding to the Tangxunhu Brainwashing Centre in 2004. She was held there for more than a month.

She developed a blister on her foot in 2005 at work. Her foot was so swollen that she was unable to wear shoes. Her calf was so swollen that she was unable to wear pants. General Manager Xia Dezhong didn't allow her a day off. The condition lasted until the summer of 2008, when deputy general manager Zhou Xiaoping, who was in charge of the persecution of Falun Gong in the company, assigned Ms. Ding to clean a warehouse. Ms. Ding's right foot was swollen so badly that she had to cut her shoe open to squeeze her foot into it.

Due to summer flooding, a lot of mud and dead grass entered the warehouse. The items stored were metal plates, one meter wide and several meters long, and finished and semi-finished metal pipes. By the time she had cleaned out the warehouse, Ms. Ding's heel bone was exposed. Shortly after, a bone dislodged from her heel, leaving a hole that often ran pus. It was extremely painful.

Ms. Ding went to the countryside to tell people about Falun Gong in the summer of 2008. Xiangyang County Police Department's division head Deng Yongshan arrested her and held her in the county detention centre. Police officer Hu Xiaofang and other officers ransacked Ms. Ding's home and confiscated her Falun Gong books and informational materials. Hu Xiaofang, deputy general manager Zhou Xiaoping, and another officer ransacked Ms. Ding's home for a second time several days later when Ms. Ding's family was absent. They confiscated a satellite receiver, two mobile phones, and other personal property. Ms. Ding was held in the county detention centre for two weeks before Deng Yongshan and several police officers took her to the Wuhan Women's Forced Labour Camp, to be held for a year.

The labour camp officials refused to accept her because she failed a physical exam. They took her back to the county detention centre. Five days later, section head Liao Yaohui and police officer Hu Xiaofang once again took her to the Tangxunhu Brainwashing Centre, where the officials refused to admit her because she failed a physical. They had to release her.

Ms. Ding's latest arrest was in 2010 as she went to the countryside in Gucheng to explain the facts to people about Falun Gong. She was taken to the county detention centre and released because the detention centre officials refused to admit her.


1. "Yuan" is the Chinese currency; 500 yuan is equal to the average monthly income of an urban worker in China.

Chinese version available at

Facebook Logo LinkedIn Logo Twitter Logo Email Logo Pinterest Logo

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.